From time to time, we see projects where important design aspects are forgotten or left until the very end, to the detriment of the project. As Interior Designers, we wanted to share just a few of our tips for ensuring a smooth project delivery with no nasty surprises for you or your buyers.
- Layout and space planning – Consider engaging an Interior Designer to review your apartment or house layouts prior to construction. An Interior Designer can offer another perspective on your space planning. For example, moving a door slightly to allow for better positioning of furniture in a room, or to enable better storage. Speaking of storage……
- Storage – Storage, or lack thereof, can be a deciding factor for some buyers. Ensure bedrooms have built-in wardrobes, and of course ensure kitchens and bathrooms have ample storage. Undertake a storage review with your Interior Designer to see if there are any other opportunities to add or improve storage. Your buyers will never complain about having too much storage!
- Window dressings – Don’t forget about important end-user elements such as window dressings. If you are installing curtain reveals, ensure they are deep enough for two tracks, one for sheer curtains and one for main curtains. Installing pattressing within the reveal is a good idea so that your occupant can install whatever they like. Also, do any doors or windows interfere with curtains or blinds when they are open? Consider the positioning and depth of handles – these can also hinder the operation of curtains or blinds.
- Sockets – It sounds simple but do ensure that your socket locations are considered. It can be a fine line between enough sockets, too many sockets or not nearly enough sockets. Ensure they are positioned as inconspicuously as possible.
- Common Spaces – Ensuring that a buildings entrance lobby, and hallways (if applicable) are furnished and/or dressed, will elevate the first impression and overall experience, as well as add to the desirability and value of the building.
Ensuring these elements are well considered will take your project to the next level!